Monday, March 22, 2010

The Margaret Cupcake.


So my dear granny is 81 years old. She's extremely sweet, alluring and fabulous. She plays cards to pass the time and spends her weekends at slumber parties held by her equally rambuctious friends. They gossip, gamble and eat cupcakes to pass the time away.

Not only is she the coolest grandma, but she bakes the best cookies and desserts. Her signature is mini pineapple tarts that just take your breath away. That, is my goal in the near future, just soak in her goddess-like poweress in the kitchen and live like her - on the edge and grasping each day by the horns.

For now, I can only wish to be half as cool as she is in time to come.

She celebrates her 81st birthday this weekend, and to surprise her, I made her something that is uber sweet and satisfying. She loves them raisins, but unfortunately, she is not able to eat too much sugar so I had to think of a diabetic friendly recipe to help her out.

Great success folks, great success!

See the recipe for The Margaret Cupcake (diabetic friendly) after the jump.


 these are extendable to chocolate chips or pretty much anything you like

Inspiration: Experience! This is the first recipe I did without online help.
Makes 20 - 24 cupcakes

Ingredients
  • 2 Cups of Flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon of Salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar / brown sugar packed (personal preference really)
  • 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1/2 Cup of unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla Essence
  • 3 whole eggs, room temp
  • 1/2 cup milk (plus a little more)
  • Raisins (as many as you like! I used sultanas for this, i love the sourish taste they come with.)
  • Any other condiments, chocolate chips, pecans, almonds - go crazy!

Now, down with the dirty

Preheat oven to 170C.

Mix the flour, salt and baking powder together, set aside.

With your mixer, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.

Add in eggs, one at a time, mixing it in well.

Add in vanilla essence

Now, do the three part mix: add dry ingredients into wet ingredients (a little at a time) - mix - milk - mix - dry ingredients - mix - milk - mix. Do it in 3 batches to be safe.

Divide batter into muffin liners. This is where you add in the things you love!

Bake for 15 - 20 mins, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Let them cool and ice if you like. Personally, these are good on their own!
(I had people telling me they were like Sara Lee's! Thankyouverymuch!)

enjoy your Margaret Cupcakes!

2 comments:

These look wonderful! I've had many a doctor tell me to watch my sugar intake...so this is definitely on my list.

Thanks alot! Actually, if you use fresh fruits like strawberries or even apples, you can cut down the sugar in the recipe to a mere 1/4 cup. I always recommend brown sugar in my recipes, it's just the healthier choice :)

Happy baking!

Post a Comment